Ethics & Engagement across the Wellcome Trust Major Overseas Programmes
I do hope you are all doing well, I would like to share with you some of my happiness and results after the trip to the Ethox in last Jan-Feb this year.
On receiving the ISSF award, I paid a 3 weeks visit to the Ethox center, Oxford in the UK from 24 January to 14 February 2015, hosting by Prof. Michael Parker. During this visit, I received a huge support from Prof. Michael Parker and other administrative staff in arranging accommodation, a place to sit at the office, a computer, internet access, and even library access. I also had chances to see many other experts in the social science field that are working on different projects and have variety interests in medical and research ethics. By meeting with the Ethox team, I could be able to exchange the ideas, thoughts about relevant topics in different settings. I attended one teaching given by Prof. Michael Parker to medical students at John Radcliffe hospital and observed how law and ethical issues are taught, brainstorming, group work and the classroom atmosphere. I also joined the academic weekly meetings: hearing update/share ideas, listen to the other’s talks and I also had an opportunity to present my talk at one of these meetings. More importantly, I worked closely with Prof. Michael Parker and Dr. Patricia Kingori on my project and I have learned how to manage qualitative data, analyze data, interpret data and write an academic paper etc…And last but not least, I had a very rare chance to join the Ethox team socials - a party at Ruth's house to celebrate Mike’s 10th anniversary and Angeliki’s birthday after working hour in a cosy room with drinks, cookies and cheeses we were talking, chatting, smiling to each other with much joy and cheerfulness...can you imagine that? By making this visit, I gained valuable experience and be confident to make plan and carried out many more advantage activities such as:
- Presented a 10 minutes talk at OTN, Mar 2015, Cambodia
- Be a coordinator and assisted organizing one week Summer School in OUCRU Vietnam in June 2015. Presented 15 minutes talk and 5-minute poster.
- Organizing and facilitating Research ethics training for ethical committee members at collaborative hospitals in Hochiminh, Vietnam. Following this training, we held the third ethics club workshop. This is a forum for representatives at local collaborative hospitals Ethical committees to exchange, discuss, and share the important ethical issues. Guest speakers are Prof. Michael Parker and Dr. Susan Bull from the University of Oxford.
- Submitting one ethics project proposal to GHBN Bursary scheme.
- Writing manuscript for academic paper at final stage
- Will be attending the 1st biennial Oxford Global Health and Bioethics International Conference in Oxford, The UK next Sep 2015.
Indeed, this trip helped me to achieve our plan to address global health ethical issues initiate and continue collaborations at the local level and amongst the MOPs.
Add a Comment